The Transition feature enables you to specify "permanent" spare drives for your VTrak subsystem. Transition is the process of replacing a revertible spare drive that is currently part of a disk array with an unconfigured physical drive or a nonrevertible spare. The revertible spare drive returns to its original status.
Transition happens automatically when the following sequence of events takes place:
• You create a revertible spare drive.
• A physical drive assigned to your disk array fails and the array goes critical or degraded.
• VTrak automatically rebuilds your array to the revertible spare drive and the array becomes functional again.
• You replace the failed physical drive with a new physical drive of equal or greater capacity.
• VTrak automatically transitions (moves) the data from the revertible spare to the new physical drive.
• The new physical drive becomes part of the array and the revertible spare drive returns to its original spare status.
Transition happens manually when you specify a different unconfigured physical drive to transition (move) the data from the revertible spare drive.