The following conditions can cause a Physical Drive to have its operational status set to Dead by a VTrak RAID controller:
- There are more than six consecutive communications time-outs between a RAID controller and a Physical Drive in a 30-minute period - except when the Logical Drive is in the Critical state, which will result in the controller continuously trying to reset the drive.
- The Medium Error Threshold is exceeded. This is a user configurable parameter that is set to the default value of 64 beginning with firmware release SR 2.6. [This parameter should not be confused with the PDM threshold which triggers the PDM process.]
- The Physical Drive is physically disconnected and reinserted in to the enclosure.
- The Physical Drive returns an invalid sense key.
- The Physical Drive is forced off-line by a user from the CLI/CLU/GUI.
- The communications path from the Physical Drive to the RAID controller fails - except when the Logical Drive is in the Critical state, which will result in the controller continuously trying to reset the drive.