SNMP MIB Test Procedure for VTrak E-Class
Version 1.0, February 1st, 2008
Abstract: The purpose of this document is instruct the user how to test each supported trap event on the Vtrak E-x10 subsystem. The application being used is an evaluation version that will allow you to trap up to 5 events. The user will need to download the Promise MIB file from www.promise.com. In these test scenarios MGSoft MIB Brower and MGSOFT Trap Ringer where used. This document is not intended to make the user an expert on deploying and SNMP Trap environments, it will how ever demonstrate how to test and make sure each trap event is functioning. Please reference the related article Vtrak_Events below for supported VTrak E-Class event list.
USING SNMP SERVICE WITH MG-SOFT MIB BROWSER
To install the SNMP service
- Open the Windows Components Wizard, click Start, click Control Panel, double-click Add or Remove programs, and then click Add/Remove Windows Components.
- Under the tab Components, click Management and Monitoring Tools (but do not select or clear its check box), and then click Details.
- Select the Simple Network Management Protocol check box, and click OK.
- Click next, and then click Finish. SNMP starts automatically after installation.
To configure traps
- Open Computer Management: click Start, click Control Panel, double-click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Computer Management.
- In the console tree, click Services.
- In the details pane, click SNMP Service.
- On the Action menu, click Properties.
- Under the tab Traps, under Community name, type “public” and then click Add to list.
- In Trap destinations, click Add.
- In Host name, IP or IPX address, type information for the Vtrack, and click Add.
- To configure SNMP security properties, Under the Security tab, make sure the box next to the Send authentication trap is checked boxed.
- In the box below, the Accepted community names, click Add.
- In the same section please click on edits tab and then, select Read Only
- Type “public”, and then click Add.
- On the circle option below check the Accept SNMP packets from these hosts:
- Highlight “localhosts”, then click Remove
- Click Add and type the IP address of the Vtrack, and then click Add again.
- Click OK and then restart the SNMP service by right-clicking and choosing Restart
Using the MG-Soft MIB Browser
- Install the MG-Soft MIB browser “needed to compile Mib” .You can download the MIB Browser from http://www.mg-soft.com/
- Download the Promise MIB Files from: http://www.promise.com/support/download.aspx?from=product_series&SeriesSn=1&ModelSn=1&m=205®ion=en-US
- Extract the files and locate “raidv4.mib”. Once you have extracted and saved the “raidv4.mib into a working directory, Right-click on that file and select Compile. The MG-Soft Compiler should open up and then select Save All in the window.
- Select the default save location and then close the compiler.
- Open the MG-Soft MIB Browser and select View -> SNMP Protocol Preferences. Under the heading SNMP Protocol version, select SNMPv2c and click OK.
- Go to the MIB tab and click the “Unload All” button. Now locate the PROMISE-RAIDV4-MIB file under MIB Modules. Highlight the file and then click the “Load MIB Module” button.
- In the “Query” tab, input the IP address of the Vtrak under the “Remote SNMP Agent” box.
- Expand all the folders under the MIB Tree and until you come to a file named “raidv4MIB”. Right-click on it and select “Contact”.
Using the MG-Soft Trap Ringer
- Download MGSOFT Trap Ringer Pro http://www.mg-soft.com/files/mgTrapRing-50g.zip
- Extract contents to a working directory
- From the working directory execute the "setup.exe"
Note: This particular version of MGSOFT is an evaluation version
- During the install process you will a notification about the license key "Could not find a valid license key file in the specified location! Do you have a license key in any other location?"
Click "NO" to the pop up message.
- Fill out additional installer fields and proceed with the installation until you get to the "Select Components"
- Uncheck " Keep old MIB files" and check "Make shortcut on the desktop"
- Complete the installation.
- Go to Promise VTrak E-Class utility downoads page: http://www.promise.com/support/download.aspx?from=product_series&SeriesSn=1&ModelSn=1&m=205®ion=en-US
- Download the latest MIB File package and extract its contents into a working directory Example: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\MG-Soft\SNMP_mibs\IslaVista_sw\software\snmp\mibs
- Locate "raidv4.mib" file and right click and select compile.
Note: Since MGFSOFT SNMP Trap Ringer was installed the default C compiler will compile the MIB by default
- Once the compiler completes the compile task click on the "Save ALL" button.
- Specify a location (default is fine), defaults to "My Documents"
- Close the MGSOFT compiler
- Go to the shortcut on the Desktop and double click on the shortcut on the Desktop labeled "MG-SOFT Trap Ringer Pro"
- After executing the shortcut it will open the a working directory:
Example: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\MG-SOFT Trap Ringer Pro
- Execute "Trap Ringer Pro". MGSOFT Trap Ringer Professional will open.
- Go to "Tools: and select "Trap Ringer Preferences".
- From here click on the "MIB Modules" Tab and select "unload all". This function will unload the the loaded modules from the "Loaded MIB Modules"
- Under the listing of "MIB Modules" select the Promise MIB "Promise-RAIDV4-MIB" and click the "Load"
- Click the apply button followed by "ok"
- Reference SNMP event list provide by Promise FAE for supported Trap events to test various functions.
- Test out the SNMP event Trap. Example: 0x000D001A Major, "Physical Disk has been removed" event Trap. The following will automatically be captured by the SNMP Trap Ringer:
Binding #9: raidv4TrapDescription *** (Display String) Physical Disk has been removed
Full path: iso
Prev sibling: raidv4TrapTimeStamp
Numerical syntax: Octets
Base syntax: OCTET STRING
Composed syntax: DisplayString
Max access: read-only
Description: The event , sent as a parameter of raidv4Traps trap notification.
- Continue testing for supported events.
Note Email notification can also be configured by SNMP Trap Ringer (see MGSOFT User Guide for more in depth configuration possibilities
©2008 Promise Technology, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this document may be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the expressed written permission of Promise Technology, Inc.